Prime Minister António Costa announced new measures to halt the coronavirus pandemic on the day that Portugal sets a record daily number of new Covid-19 cases .
A further 2072 infected and seven dead were reported this Wednesday. The country will return to the Situation of Calamity from 00:00 on Thursday with new, more restricted measures.
– Meetings with more than five people on the public road are prohibited , a limitation that also extends to commercial spaces and restaurants.
– Another measure will be to limit events of a family nature, such as weddings and baptisms, which are scheduled as of today for a maximum of 50 participants.
– Academic celebrations and activities of a non-academic or scientific nature in schools, universities and polytechnics will be prohibited.
– The security forces and ASAE will have a reinforcement of enforcement actions both on public roads and in catering establishments and there will also be a reinforcement of fines up to 10 thousand euros for legal persons (commercial establishments and restaurants) that do not ensure compliance the rules.
– It is also recommended to use a mask on the public road whenever there are other people around and to use the Stayaway Covid application.
A law proposal will also be presented to the Assembly of the Republic requesting the imposition of the mandatory use of a mask on public roads and also the use of the app in work, school and academic contexts, in the Armed Forces and Security Forces and as a whole of Public Administration.